Friday, February 23, 2007

Dong Hai Tong (Dim Sum) Seafood Restaurant

On the first day of Chinese New Year, we went to one of the few places open for breakfast on that day.The venue of choice was located along Anson Road - a new dim sum restaurant which just opened a few weeks ago. I had spotted that restaurant on the way to work and had been wanting to give it a try. I didn't have very high hopes for, in my humble opinion, Penang has been honestly lacking in good dim sum places for a very looooong time! As yet, I have not been able to find a place that serves good dim sum... most are just mediocre.

From the signboard, it mentions that they are a (dim sum) seafood restaurant but the morning menu showed mostly dim sum dishes. They are the standard self service type of dim sum restaurant. No push carts as space is quite limited. Instead, you pick your food and order whatever you want from the counter, and later bring it to your own table. They serve a variety of teas and hot water is available at the corner for you to help yourselves.

I do not think that I'm a very picky or fussy eater but somehow, I did not enjoy the food served at this place. The dim sum dishes to me were below par. To be fair, it may be because they are still very new. However, I do not think I will be returning for a second visit...unless I get word that they've gotten a new chef/supplier or someone else sings high praises about it. For now, I shall have to turn elsewhere to satisfy my dim sum cravings....

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have you tried Yong Pin dim sum? Can't remember the name of the road but it's in one of the roads opposite Komtar, heading to Tai Tong Dim Sum shop. The variety is less but the quality is there. Try the siew mai and lo mai kai. Yum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home